SOLUTION - OUR PROGRAMS
For thousands of years, in villages all around the world, when the time was right, the men came for the adolescent boys. They knew their young males would play a critical role in the survival of their tribe into the future. For that reason, intentionally launching boys on the path toward a solid and positive manhood was considered sacred men’s work. Times have changed, but the need has not.
WE GO TO THE BOYS...
Every week Boys to Men mentors show up at middle schools and high schools to support boys. The group based approach gives boys a variety of male role models who tell the truth about struggles all men face. We ask the boys what kind of man they want to be, praise them for their gifts and support them in finding their own solutions. The boys develop deeper trust and naturally begin to support and mentor each other. In this environment, they learn to express and understand how choices and outcomes can impact their life and other’s lives.
WE TAKE THE BOYS TO THE MOUNTAIN...
Men take the boys on a weekend adventure, where there is fun, and they are shown how to confront the immature parts of themselves. They are surrounded by trained mentors and trained peers as they are encouraged and challenged. This environment helps them learn to trust each other, their peers and adult staff as well as themselves.
WE INVITE THE BOYS TO MEET US OUT IN THE VILLAGE...
These group mentoring events bring mentors and boys together for hikes, kayaking, bowling and other community building events. Dads, grandfathers, brothers and other boys are invited to join in the group. This continues to build the bond where the boy can be himself, speak his truth and be supported without judgment.
BTM POSITIVELY INFLUENCES STUDENT BEHAVIOR
There are less high level infractions at school, boys are happier, have a more positive outlook on life, have improved self-esteem, and engage in less risk-taking behavior. BTM participants show improved grades, increased attendance, and higher school engagement.
In September 2013 The University of San Diego completed a 2 year Exploratory Case Study of Boys to Men and the results were astonishing.
- 90% of parents agree their sons get along better with others since participation in Boys to Men.
- 54% of parents agree their sons seem more engaged in school since participation in Boys to Men.
- 63% of parents agree their sons’ school attendance has increased since participation in Boys to Men.
- 78% of students said that Boys to Men has helped them go to school more often.
- 90% of students said Boys to Men helped them to do better in school
- 63% of parents agree their son communicates better with their mother since participation in Boys to Men.
- 72% of parents agree their son communicates better with their fathers since participation in Boys to Men.
- 100% of students said they felt accepted by the group.
- 86% of students said Boys to Men helps them feel safe.
- 90% of students said Boys to Men helps them build friendships.
- 81% of students said Boys to Men makes it easier to talk to adults.
- 73% of students said Boys to Men makes it easier to talk to their parents.
- 68% of students said Boys to Men makes it easier to talk to teachers.
- 96% of students said Boys to Men has helped them care about people’s feelings.
Potential mentors are interviewed and carefully screened, and must pass a Boys to Men background check as well as any additional school district background checks required.
All mentors are required to attend an 8-hour mentor orientation, and receive ongoing feedback and training from BTM staff before and after the weekly sessions.
The group-mentoring model allows Boys to Men staff to monitor and evaluate the mentor’s interactions with the boys. All group leaders are trained to spot signs of predatory behavior. We frequently discuss predatory behavior at group sessions and instruct boys and mentors to immediately report ANY concerns or inappropriate behaviors to Boys to Men staff. Every meeting has at least one BTM staff member present.